• Coral Reef Shop
  • Ontario Agra
  • Under The Sea
  • Niagara Fire Corals

Next livestock: suggestions wanted

Rookie

Ok, so some of you may know that my tank crashed a while back, things were fine at 11pm, lights turned on at 12pm the next day and all the fish were either dead or gasping. Corals were all fine.....

Did all the tests I could think of, came back fine. Did a water change for good measure and let the tank sit. Corals looked great.

Lost a few clowns, coral beauty, yellow tang and 2 bangaii cardinals.

So a few weeks back I got another clown (who won't leave the anemone) and the tank is otherwise empty for livestock except the cleanup crew (that all survived) and our harelquin (new a few weeks ago)

So..... short story long. I'm looking at slowly stocking up,

I like the foxface for its color and price compared to the yellow tank, but adriana is worried about the Venomous spines.

A flame angel is always high on my list

Hippo tang?

Anyways, looking for suggestions to add some nice color and movement, or perhaps you seen a good specimen somewhere, just opening it up for discussion.

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
No tank is complete without a hippo, (i swear they got the personality bang on in the movie finding nemo).
i tried a fox face once... it lasted about an hour in the tank... then it went in the penalty box till i got rid of it...

has anyone else had any experience with foxface?

Luke_L

Founder/Admin
Staff member
orange shoulder tangs, and Vlamingi tangs are awesome fish... very peaceful and cool personalitys...

Rookie

Thanks guys, the shoulder tang looks interesting, may have to look out for one!

Limey

Founder/Admin
Staff member
Chris you cannot go wrong with any of your choices just your budget as Yellow tangs, Flame angels and any fish from the Hawaii area they have gone astronomical.
Fox face is a nice fish and Adrianna does not need to worry about the venomous spines as her hands do not go in the tank...LOL
I have not heard of anyone getting stabbed by the spines on a foxface as it is only the first spine or two on the dorsal fin.
I think we all use nets and foxface's are very common in most peoples tanks, and as Luke mentioned they can be bossy towards other fish but you get that in every system as I introduced a Sohal tang into my tank and the yellow tang and Kole tang bullied it like crazy the first few months.
but guess who is boss now and the Sohal is making both the yellow and Kole pay for those first few months.

Hippo tang is a must and I agree with Luke beautiful fish lots of character and does not bully the other fish if anything a bit of a coward and hides quickly.

I love powder blues and Powder brown tangs beautiful colours and nice demeanor.

Last edited:

Will Penfold

Chris you cannot go wrong with any of your choices just your budget as Yellow tangs, Flame angels and any fish from the Hawaii area they hac=ve gone astronomical.
Fox face is a nice fish and Adrianna does not need to worry about the venomous spines as her hands do not go in the tank...LOL
I not heard of anyone getting stabbed by the spines on a foxface as it is only the first spine or two on the dorsal fin.
I think we all use nets and foxface's are very common in most peoples tanks, and as Luke mentioned they can be bossy towards other fish but you get that in every system as I introduce a Sohal tang into my tank and the yellow tang and Kole tang bullied it like crazy the first few months.
but guess who is boss now and the Sohal is making both the yellow and Kole pay for those first few months.

Hippo tang is a must and I agree with Luke beautiful fish lots of character and does not bully the other fish if anything a bit of a coward and hides quickly.

I love powder blues and Powder brown tangs beautiful colours and nice demeanor.
Didn't know that flame angels were part of the Hawaii ban as well...thats a bummer.

Limey

Founder/Admin
Staff member
yep all
Hawaiian fish catching for export has been stopped I am sure there are other fish that we will not see Yellow Tangs, Flame angel, Kole tangs, etc, maybe mr.wilson can let us know which fish maybe affected by this ban.

Rookie

Well,stopped in to under the sea today, picked up a beautiful powder blue. Hes settled in nicely so far, grazing off the rocks and exploring.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Rookie

Here's the new guy settled in, picking off the rocks constantly, and quite active.

Attachments

• IMG_0521.jpg
    IMG_0521.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7

Andrew D

The powder blue is one of my favourites fish. He was one of 13 tangs I had at one time, many of which succumbed to aggression as they got older. The ones I have left are too large and established to introduce another one, but one day I'll trade them all in for a (smaller and more compatible) bunch of smaller ones again and start over.