• Coral Reef Shop
  • Ontario Agra
  • Under The Sea
  • Niagara Fire Corals

Feedback on timers

Andrew D

Hey everyone. Curious what kinds of timers you use, those of you that don't have programmable lights that is. I've always used those digital timers from home depot, you know the ones that have the 4 outlets on the left that are timer controlled and 4 on the right that are on all the time. They've served me well but I find some are starting to do weird things unrelated to battery life, and the newer models I find awkward to program. So for the lights I'm moving towards those very simple ones that many of us probably use for house lights when we go away, can't go wrong there. Of course they are not as precise so I can't run for example my top-off pump on them.

Anyway, curious what everyone uses, why and how often they need to replace them. Thanks. Andrew

Luigi

Hi Andrew ,besides apex
I'm still using the digital timers from Canadian tire, so far they are quite a few years old and so far they have just few minutes off ...but happy so far

Limey

Founder/Admin
Staff member
I used the same timers in the past Andrew 4 x 4 timed, but found they only lasted a couple years as I feel the moisture probably corroded them inside. As things would not turn or off at the correct time.
So 8 years ago I switched to Aqua controller Jr, then on to the Apex classic with three DC 8 units with the extra components that can be added, its hard to beat. I have to say best buy ever, also I purchased a used one so not sure how old my unit actually is.

Andrew D

thanks guys, I guess I"m older or more stubborn than I look, still resisting the ease of the apex. I bought one a while back but ended up selling it to Luigi when I got frustrated with the set up and the reason I bought it for was otherwise solved (notification when power goes off, addressed by my whole home alarm system). Funny, I can spend hours problem-solving a construction issue but put me in front of technology and my brain goes numb.

Rookie

I am just putting together a small plc controlled timer right now, only because I have 3 or 4 of them sitting around and nothing better to do, lol.

I do have the apex, but I dont gwt the same satisfaction from programming that as I do from planning and wiring from scratch